Saturday, April 08, 2006

Genera, Species, Family, Country of Origin...

I had intended to be posting about my internship a whole lot more than I have. I do a plant of the day every day, researching the family, background, appearance and habit of a wide variety of plants. I frequently do sketches and or take pictures. We had an open house a few weeks ago, I've got great pictures of that. I've also been taking pictures of all the things in bloom. But alas, there have been no posts. First it was just slack, but I've been feeling very busy and sometimes overwhelmed by how much information is being sent my way, and even more overwhelmed by how little of that information is sticking in my brain. This past week I've been in the high stress position of training for my weekend duty, when I essentially have to care for the entire plant collection by myself. This has involved a lot of mentally taxing days where you run around all day long, convinced you've forgotten something (and you probably have) and at the end of the day, you're exhausted, but feel like you haven't gotten anything done. On top of that, my first plant identificaiton quiz is this Monday, and I feel grossly underprepared. I'm dreading this. It would be hard enough for me anyway, but with the past week that I've had, and being on duty this weekend, I haven't had a lot of mental energy to do the studying I so desperately need to be doing. So perhaps after Monday I'll get some proper posting done. There will be pretty pictures, and I will tell you the many reasons why watering plants has turned out to be one of the harder things I'm learning to do here, rather than the easiest, as I had presumed it would be.
Well, I knew it wouldn't all be fun and games... hopefully those start again after my quiz...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like the bloom is off the rose, so to speak?

Pictures and further details can come when you don't have that test of yours.

When was that last time you had a similarly taxing exam, anyway?

1997?

I hope you find a good means of memorization!

11:55 PM  
Blogger digiphile said...

Four months later, I imagine many things planty have occurred? Budding, leafing, flowering, fruiting, etc.? How is your vegetable garden? Have you been taking pictures of the rock gardens you're working on? What's the most surprising thing you've encountered at the halfway point in the planternship?

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home