Friday, October 28, 2005

It is done.

Ms. Caroline Burgess, Director
Stonecrop Gardens
81 Stonecrop Lane
Cold Spring, NY 10516

Dear Ms. Burgess:

I visited Stonecrop earlier this year on the advice of a fellow member of the North American Rock Garden Society and instantly fell in love with the facility. The collections of alpines, troughs, and rockeries, particularly the ledge garden, were as beautiful as any I have ever seen, in print or in person. When I realized that Stonecrop offered an internship program, I contacted your office and learned more from both Barbara Scoma and Robin Young. Based on everything I have learned about Stonecrop, I would like to apply for an internship.

While I am currently employed as a professional geologist and project manager, I am also a lifelong gardening enthusiast who has long considered a transition to a career in horticulture. I believe my combination of work experience and interest in plants makes me an ideal candidate for an internship. I work well independently and as part of a team, and I have several years of supervisory experience. I am as comfortable in the office environment as I am in the outdoors getting my hands dirty. I am always willing to put in the extra time required to complete a task correctly and in a timely manner. As a geologist, I bring a unique perspective to the culture of alpine plants as well as an appreciation of the manner in which plants interact with their surrounding environment.

As a plantsman, I am active in both the Mason-Dixon and Potomac Valley chapters of the North American Rock Garden Society. I’ve developed a particular interest in trough culture, and believe the required attention to detail would serve me well in any garden endeavor. My love of plants leads me to visit nurseries and botanical gardens whenever I travel, photographing every new plant that I see. This enthusiasm would be a tremendous asset to Stonecrop Gardens.

Enclosed please find my resume for your review. Thank you for your time and consideration. I will contact you in the next two weeks to see if you require any additional information.

Sincerely,


Gimpadelic

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good. Let's just hope the original letter didn't contain the two random boldings in the text. Otherwise, this should get 'em.

12:24 PM  
Blogger digiphile said...

YES.

Or at least, that's what they should say if they are in their collective right minds.

Just my two cents.

Two random linkings, for the way Firefox treated them; I right clicked and ended up in the source code. Odd, and completely irrelevant to the efficacy of the letter, which made you look enthusiastic and {gasp} potentially qualified.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home