Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Joys of Truck Ownership


The second part of the National Arboretum post will be coming. But first, an ode to my automobile.

Granted, it isn't a Hummer, but it sure isn't a Prius. I couldn't justify buying a full-size truck when I was looking for a new ride. But I couldn't allow myself to have a truck, even a small one, without 4x4. And so I came to have a nice '03 Ford Ranger.

With the unenviable fuel efficiency of 15 mpg city, 19 mpg highway. I've only been able to eke out that 19 when driving long distances with an unladen bed with the tailgate down.

So why, especially in light of war over oil and hurricane-induced exhorbitant gas prices (I filled up over the weekend - $45/13gl) am I still glad I have this pumpsucker? Because last week, one of my gardening idols, Eric Grissell, contacted me and asked if I would be interested in having "some back issues of The Alpine Gardener" (yes!) and "a few troughs that I won't be taking with me" (YES YES!). He's just retired, has sold his house, and is moving to Arizona in a matter of weeks. I agreed in a heartbeat -- I can always use more places to put my silly plants, and The Alpine Gardener, a quarterly glossy, is the world's premier rock-gardening publication. So off I went. And came home with every issue of T.A.G. from 1990-2003, as well as SEVEN troughs in various shapes and sizes, most of which are at least partly planted. And a good dozen or so other plants, and some large terra cotta pots. JACKPOT!

All this stuff filled the entire back of my truck. I'd like to see you try getting all that in a '94 Saturn!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home